Audi announced U.S. prices for the all-new 2016 A3 Sportback e-tron® will begin at $37,900, and purchasing customers may qualify for applicable state and federal incentives and tax credits. As the first electrified Audi sold in the U.S., the plug-in hybrid electric A3 Sportback e-tron combines efficiency, innovative technology and performance for a premium driving experience.
The A3 Sportback e-tron provides a comprehensive approach to sustainable mobility by combining the benefits of a hybrid with all-electric range. It is a package that makes the A3 Sportback e-tron a versatile choice for the full array of daily commuting challenges, some of which can be handled on battery power alone.
The plug-in hybrid will launch at dealerships nationwide in October. EPA figures will be announced in the near future once they are available from U.S. regulators.
The first Audi plug-in hybrid, or PHEV, to hit the market will be priced from $37,900 for a Premium package to $46,800 for a Prestige package. The vehicle will offer even greater value when, as expected, it qualifies for a federal tax credit of $4,168 . Buyers in some states may qualify for additional incentives. Tax credits and incentives are subject to availability, and customers should consult their tax professionals and IRS.gov for more information about tax credits and incentives.
Plug-in hybrid system
The 2016 A3 Sportback e-tron features a 1.4 liter TFSI® engine with a six-speed S tronic® transmission. Combined with a liquid-cooled, permanent magnet-driven electric motor, the A3 e-tron produces 204 horsepower and 258 lb-ft. of torque for impressive off-the-line acceleration and high-end power. An 8.8-kWh lithium-ion battery pack provides electrical energy storage and is packaged beneath the rear seat, allowing for a fully-usable trunk.
Charging and connectivity
The charging connection for the A3 Sportback e-tron is located behind the four rings in the Singleframe® grille. This placement in the front of the vehicle is convenient for charging from a power source on either side of the vehicle and the port is hidden when not in use.
- 240-volt charging quickly replenishes the battery in about 2 hours and 15 minutes
- Vehicle comes standard with 240 volt mobile electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) which can also be used in a common 120-volt outlet
- Recharging through a 120-volt outlet takes approximately 8 hours
- Home installation of a 240-volt outlet and home charging station are optional
- Available smartphone app allows the driver to remotely check on the status of their A3 e-tron. It can be used to check battery status and for “charge planning” – setting times for charging to automatically begin
- The driver can also use the app to adjust climate control remotely for added comfort and energy savings
Unique drive modes
The A3 Sportback e-tron also delivers a four driving choices for motorists, including full battery propulsion and battery recharge mode:
- In EV mode, the vehicle is powered only by the electric motor for a smooth and quiet ride featuring quick acceleration
- Hybrid mode allows the car to intelligently select the most efficient power source – either EV, Hybrid or gasoline
- Hold Battery mode allows hybrid driving while preserving EV range for later use
- Charge Battery mode uses the gasoline engine to recharge the battery while driving at highway speed
- The electric engine can also supplement the gas engine to provide an extra boost of power when desired.
Audi energy offering
To ensure driving an A3 Sportback e-tron is convenient and sustainable, Audi is providing the Audi energy portfolio of products with each vehicle sold. Audi energy includes:
- A standard Audi-designed mobile charging system that works with standard U.S. household outlets or 240-volt service
- The option for professional 240-volt plug installation through Bosch Automotive Service Solutions, which can lower home charging times to around 2.25 hours
- Optional solar power installation with rebates through SunPower
- Audi contributions to environmental conservation programs through 3Degrees to help offset the carbon footprint of every A3 Sportback e-tron sold
Other standard features
The Audi A3 Sportback e-tron comes equipped with a wide variety of standard equipment, including.
- Xenon plus high-intensity discharge (HID) headlights
- LED taillights with rear fog lights
- LED interior lighting package
- Power central locking system with radio-operated key fob remote control for doors, tailgate and fuel door with selective unlocking
- Automatic dual-zone climate control
- Three-spoke multifunction leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Audi advanced key – keyless start, stop and entry
- Audi drive select
- Rear view camera, with front and rear parking sensors
- Audi pre sense® basic
Design and Body
The Audi A3 Sportback e-tron boasts a variety of design features that speak to its sporty and efficient character.
- e-tron specific Singleframe grille, S line front/rear fasciae and side sills, rear bumper with hidden exhaust outlet
- Available full LED headlights
- Available aluminum roof rails
- Panoramic sunroof with retractable sunshade and pinch protection
- 16’’ wheels standard (17” and 18” wheels available)
The interior of the Audi A3 Sportback e-tron comfortably seats 5 passengers. The lithium-ion battery is hidden beneath the rear seat for even more room and luggage capacity in the trunk. Both the driver and passenger have access to a variety of standard and available technology features.
- Cargo area offers 13.6 cu ft. of luggage capacity
- MMI® wheel with optional MMI touch
- Ultra-thin 7’’ MMI screen with available 7” display
- Circular air vents
- Available 3D optic inlays
- e-tron specific shift knob, badging on the dash, instrument cluster and door sills